I meant to make this a proper post, but didn’t end up having the time, so without further ado, I present my 50 favorite films of 2013, without further comment.
50. The Last Stand
49. Stand Up Guys
48. The Place Beyond the Pines
47. Fast & Furious 6
46. The Hangover Part III
45. You’re Next
44. The Heat
43. The Great Gatsby
42. World War Z
41. Spring Breakers
40. The Conjuring
39. Star Trek: Into…
I reach back to remove the necklace she made for me, and I feel the remnants of her fingers softly tracing my neck. Filling the void of her touch seems impossible.
But that’s not entirely true. It’s just another memory. And memories are something that I’m learning to cherish as much as I miss her, her hands, and everything else that made her her.
But you inspire me just the same
If you’re ever available
I hope you remember my name
Your wisdom’s undeniable
As is your grace and soul
You make my heart feel pliable
With powers that you don’t even know
And that’s the thing right there
You’re loyal, strong and you
A light that shines so rare
Even when your glow is blue
You don’t try, you just are
I’m not surprised you’re not free
You were destined to be a star
Sometimes I just wish it shone for me
1. Laugh at the audacity of all the bullshit and hypocrisy in the world. Don’t give it much more than that. It’s like giving assholes attention. Your energy should be used in positive ways and on positive things. Just laugh at the toxic things and be happy that you can rise above.
2. Don’t take life so seriously. Life is probably laughing at us. Life doesn’t sit around stressing out about you.
3. Enjoy the silly things that make you happy as much as you can. Because they’re not silly if they make you happy.
4. Find someone to love the shit out of. Someone to give your all to. Someone who makes you want to be better automatically. And if the person you are with doesn’t make you feel like that, then find someone that does. It’s a waste of both of your time to stay in something that isn’t fulfilling. We all deserve to feel complete and understood.
5. Don’t be afraid to be “weird”. “Normal” means nothing anymore. Like what you like and don’t justify it. Be who you are. Dig what you dig. If you are being honest and you are enjoying yourself, that’s all that really matters.
6. Next time you hear Bush’s “Everything Zen”, sing “Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear!” when Gavin Rossdale sings “Try see once my way!”.
7. Follow me on Spotify. Music will save the world and I hope to be one of the sound scientists that helps it do so.
8. Come watch me do comedy. I wouldn’t tell you to unless I thought you’d enjoy it.
9. Be true to yourself. Love yourself. And then do the same to everyone who matters to you. And give less time to the people who bring you down, because that’s just unhealthy and stupid. And remember, if I correspond with you on a regular basis, you mean something to me. Hopefully you never forget that and hopefully it means something to you, as well.
10. Have sweet dreams.
Sometimes the silliest, simplest things bring back the most precious memories.
On the bus ride home from work, I hear the overhead announcement stating, “Please kokua…”, and suddenly it’s a few months ago, and I’m sitting in the back of the bus, hand in hand with her, and she’s asking me what the Hawaiian word “kokua” means and I’m explaining it to her as she lays her head on my shoulder.
It’s a wonder I can get any words out, because I’m inexplicably happy and at peace in that moment. And then I snap back to my present reality. I’m at home and she’s still gone, but these memories will never leave me and my hope is they will propel me to find another of her caliber.
No one that special can ever be truly replaced, but that is not the point. The point is to find someone else to leave their own personal imprint on your life. And they’ve got to be out there somewhere.